Sunday, April 29, 2012

April 29

The completed garden



























This is basically it, the bones of the new garden.  There will be some new shrubs at the back, and of course the bio-scene will change over the seasons, but the yard is now officially Made Over.  It actually looks better than I had imagined it, so I'm pretty pleased!

What's growing today?  Lady's mantle:


Brassicas under protective fabric:


Crocuses, just starting to bloom:


A hungry visitor:

 
Kabocha squash (started indoors, with the sprouts planted in mini hoophouses):


Tatsoi, an amazingly hardy winter green, started indoors and thriving unprotected through cold, rain, and snow after being planted out:


The long-suffering primula:


Pattypan squash under its cloche.  Time will tell if there's any use in planting these warm-weather plants out so early, but they sprouted so very fast, and apparently larger plants don't transplant well at all, so I thought I'd give it a try.


The radishes in the exposed section of the garden are up!


Tulips, of course.  After all the digging I've done, bulbs are scattered everywhere.  It will be interesting to see what finally ends up where...


Lion's bane:


Delphinium.  Who knew?


Some kind of giant sedum:


Chives, first harvest!


4 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great! You've got a lot of growing space there! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. I have most of what I'm growing (mostly leaf crops) already planted and under a hoop house. Good luck with the squash, they'll probably do ok; they do grow so fast don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. Would love to find more resources like this. I will have a look at your blogroll - hope you have one! :-)
    SEO Reseller

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your garden. It must feel so good to look down on it from that upstairs view and gaze at its progress! I hope it is still doing really well in all the summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete